Originally built to support the O&W Railroad, during northeast Pennsylvania’s coal mining heydays, The Lakewood Lodge is now a historical marker that has direct access to many outdoor activities this area has to offer. For mountain bikers, hikers, snowmobile and ATV enthusiasts, the Lodge sits directly on the Rails-to-Trails system that passes through this area (http://www.nepa-rail-trails.org). For three seasons, the trail system offers easy access to nature and mountainous views. During the winter season, the trail system becomes a 200+ mile snowmobile trail, operated and maintained by the NEP Sno-trails Club (http://www.nepsnotrails.com). Since we took over operations of the Lodge in October 2013, we’ve added an auxiliary parking lot for customers to park their snowmobile or ATV trailers. For downhill skiing enthusiasts, we are about 25 minutes away from the Elk Mountain Ski Resort (http://www.elkskier.com), which is the largest and considered by many to be the best skiing in Pennsylvania. For hunters and fisherman, we sit in the middle of a prime deer and bear hunting area, and we are 15 minutes from the Class A trophy trout waters of the West Branch of the Delaware River. If you are a trout fishing enthusiast, The West Branch has year round water temperatures supportive of great trout fishing.
Since purchasing the Lodge, we have been hard at work updating and restoring this beautiful country inn. Our goal is to provide the best food and lodging in the area, in a family friendly setting. First, we have installed new restrooms in the restaurant and bar area on the first floor. We’ve also updated the kitchen equipment and are known locally as having the best chicken wings on the trail system. Our signature dinner dish continues to be prime rib, offered on Fridays, Saturday and Sundays. Check out our menu page and you will see that we cover the entire range of quality items to fit any budget. Most recently, during June of 2015, we added a beautiful outdoor dining pavilion attached directly to the restaurant. We also have a game room that offers pool, pinball and video games.
Our lodging facilities are being continually updated, with the goal of providing quality, comfortable rooms. We have 9 rooms with private bathes, two of which are efficiency apartments located in our detached Carriage House. Our Rooms page provides pictures and amenity details. Being a central landmark in the community, our staff is very accommodating to travelers from outside the area. During the summertime, our aim is to be the lodging of choice to the many parents of children that stay at area summer camps. We are an easy commute to most and are working directly with the camps to make our presence known for great lodging and food.
History of The Lakewood Lodge
(1900 – Present)
The Lakewood Lodge was founded by Mrs. Mary McGranaghan and later operated by her son Edward and Mr. Francis McGraw. On October 18, 1944, a fire completely destroyed the original building.
Francis McGraw decided to rebuild and open the new three-story hotel on the same site on May 13, 1946. He and his family operated this landmark in rural Northern Wayne County for 25 years.
“Ike” and Peggy DuMond purchased the Lakewood Hotel in 1971 and operated until 1983 when it was purchased by co-owners Larrie and Lydia Todd and “Smokie” McGraw.
In August, 1988, the hotel was purchased by John and Adriana Groenestyn of Middletown, New York. The Lakewood Hotel was then renamed “The Lakewood Lodge.”
Leroy and Barbara Rutledge purchased the lodge in January, 1994 and then the Lodge was purchased by the current owners, Jim and Carrie Kemmerer, during October 2013.